Sunday July 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Just some fun stuff...(George Shire Warning: take meds before opening this!)
I recently sent out an update to my email list with this story. I thought you might enjoy it too!The Summer Project:
Rick Hanmore, from Danbury Mint, sent me these shots, which saved me from hunting through a 1000 CDs! My sincerest thanks go out to him!
It started as a pitch to DM to do a rusted out car, but taken one step further than what I did with the FM, "Old Reliable".
They liked the idea and gave me the green light.
I sat down with John McBride and told him what I needed. I've always said, John could get into my head and render exactly what I was seeing in my brain....it really is spooky! You'll see how close we both are when you see what I built!
The plan was to use the '55 Olds (not Pontiac-inside Basement joke) and create a "find". This is long before FM's barn find Corvette, which I had no part of, but you wonder where that idea came from!
There was supposed to also be a follow up diorama, with the restored car on a show field display base.
Truth be told, I love building concept models!
There was a finite time limit to get this done, so while I was working on one assembly, other modelers, I commissioned, were doing their part. Ric Golding of Scale Equipment Limited, was asked to do a couple resin bases from a master, that I provided. Many of the accessories were from his product line and he granted permission for me and DM to use them.
DM sent me a few Oldmobiles to use (you may have noticed how many I sold on auction!). I started with Silly Sculpt and laid out a base on some hobby plywood. The surface didn't need to be flat, it was actually better that it was a little wavy. Like real land surface.
Deciding on orientation, I took a bare chassis and pressed it into the Silly Sculpt. This gave my model an anchor. Foot prints were also added with an amputated legs from a model figure. I then baked the base so as to harden it. It was then shipped to Ric for casting in resin.
When it returned, I started the detailing on the base and the accessories. The bottle jack was scratch built.
Randy Moyer was asked to do the preliminary work on the Olds body and build the wood frame. He's done a lot of wood bases for my prototypes! Meanwhile back in the shop, I was bending and soldering brass wire for convertible top frame.
Tedious but a lot of fun! Tattered cloth was then applied to the frame and weathered. I used a mixture of white glue and water on the cloth, so it snugged down onto the frame like it should and dry firm. Additional color/dirt weathering was applied.
When Randy brought me the car, it looked really nice, a very clean, beat up looking car. More extensive weathering was added, to give it a well worn patina. I wanted to show rust run lines down the body.
Once complete, the model was shipped to DM. I was anxious to hear of the progress so I called James Wolff. He shocked me when he told me the changed the car to a T-bird. Even changed the name, I gave it! He was hesitant in making his presentation of the changes to me.
Here is what DM did with my idea and submitted prototype.
The car changed as did the name of the project. To say I was disappointed would a bit of an understatement. You can see the general idea, but the execution didn't quite hit the mark, in my humble opinion. I'm sure there was a lot of board room decision making, but alas, I was not part of any of it.
I can say that some people at DM also were also unhappy that the Olds didn't make the cut.
On a fun note, Rick Hanmore had my birthday put on one of the license plates in the trunk! So if you have this model, you should note the June date!
BTW, I heisted this photo from the D4C website! DM Winter Project.
So there you have another little slice of my past modeling history!
Go back to Diecast Forums - Forum 24 – Diecast Zone
|Just some fun stuff...(George Shire Warning: take meds before opening this!) by George Bojaciuk #43650|
Copyright © 2013 Gennera Knab and Diecast Zone