Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS : Hosted by Tony Perrone (Tony P)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums - Forum 24 Diecast Zone

Posted By: John Merritt
Posted On: Friday January 12, 2018 at 10:02 AM

The changing face of Chevrolet in the late 50's...

Just for fun, I thought a feature a couple of photos of the three major years of change with the Chevrolet full-size design for 1957, 1958 & 1959.

Now GM, Ford & Chrysler all had dramatic changes to their cars in the late 50's, styles were changing quickly and the automakers did everything they could to reflect the trends in their designs.

Ford make a big change from 1956 to 1957, but in '58 & '59 they basically modified the '57 body with a fresh face. Then in 1960, changes were again became dramatically different.

At Chrysler, the changes from the '56 to '57 designs were major. While the '58 & '59 were just style modifications of the new "forward look". Chrysler made styling changes to the 1960 models and gave their cars a "fresh new look"

Now at GM, in my opinion, it seems that they were caught with their "pants down" in 1957, as the '57 cars were just restyled '56's in all lines. Then in '58, GM brought huge changes to the market sporting some of the most outrageous chrome to date with totally restyled bodies. In 1959, GM did it again with totally new bodies for all of their model lines.

At Chevrolet, the '57 was the last year in the iconic three year style run that started in 1955. Today, the '57 Bel Air is one of the most recognized styles in the automotive world.

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air "Fuelie" Hardtop Sport Coupe

for 1958 Chevrolet's new car was totally different from the previous '57. Top-of-the-line was the brand new Impala...

1958 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop Sport Coupe

The Chevrolet Impala was completely redesigned again for 1959. To my eyes, it is a pleasing but radical style that defined the era perfectly.

1959 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop Sport Coupe

As the Chevrolet style progressed throughout the 60's, each year's styling cue's were distinctive, but at the same time, you could see the design similarities from year to year. In no time before or since, has the style changed so dramatically from one year to the next as they did in the 1957, 1958 & 1959 Chevrolet full-size cars.

The late 50's and early 60's was a great time for automotive lovers, big changes came to the industry each year. Today I look back at those years and think that the automotive styles offered then were the best of the best. It is a thrill to see them today and to have them in model form, is so amazing.

Thanks for looking and spending a few moments with my post today. Have a great day, and I hope the weather remains civil where you are.

Go back to Diecast Forums - Forum 24 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

PICs - Daily Dose of Diecast...Friday by John Merritt #52550
A "threefer" today! Thanks for the great pics. With the exception of the blue interior, my by George Schire #52550.1
'3' stunning Chevys / outstanding pics. (EOM) by Billy Collins #52550.2
Great looking Chevys and great pics too. (EOM) by John Bono #52550.3
Gr8 post, John. I have the '57 & '58 seen here. Was never a fan of the '59 so I don't have one. (EOM) by Al Dorado #52550.4
Great post and pics today John! Dramatic styling changes for sure. (EOM) by Pete Rovero #52550.5
Well done, John, thanks! (EOM) by David Vandermeer #52550.6

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2018 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone