Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Paul Theriot, Devoted Collector (Paul T)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 18 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: Paul Normand
Posted On: Friday January 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Sun Star 1:18 '59 Oldsmobile 88 - Lee Petty
I‘ve just spoken to the curator of the Richard Petty Museum in Randleman, NC. He told me that Lee Petty’s ’59 Oldsmobile has its doors welded shut and the side windows are all in place and those in the doors can be wound up and down, once you're in the car.

The Pettys started welding their car doors shut in 1958 and, by 1964, all the teams were doing it. Mr France didn’t mind whether you welded them up or not, back then.

When I asked the question yesterday, it was not to cause controversy or to have a go at Sun Star, but just to establish a bit of the fundamental history of a uniquely American form of motor sport.

I have to say I was surprised at the vehemence of Mike De Torrice’s reply, especially after the long and interesting discussions on getting the unique details of individual race cars correct, when producing them in 1:18 scale.

By the way, it looks like the treatment of the headlights leaves something to be desired as well!

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 18 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Sun Star 1:18 '59 Oldsmobile 88 - Lee Petty by Paul Normand #23292
Thanks, Paul! That's interesting information. From a safety standpoint, welded doors... by Marlowe Johnson #23292.1
Smoking and racing by Paul Normand #23292.1.1
Here's a picture of the car at the Petty Museum. by Jim Schultz #23292.1.2
Jim, I'm going to have to get on a plane and come to NC to visit the Museum. (EOM) by Paul Normand #23292.1.2.1
Doesn't matter to me, I can't afford what they sell for anymore. (EOM) by Randy Earle #23292.1.2.1.1
Randy, the post was about the history, surely everyone is interested in learning something new, or by Paul Normand #23292.1.2.1.1.1
I've been to the museum and the shops several times. by Randy Earle #23292.1.2.1.1.1.1
Randy, In 43rd by Johhny Lightning by Frank Gioia #23292.1.2.1.1.1.1.1
Ertl and AutoWorld both made by Jim Thoren #23292.1.3
More than just the headlights, . . . .. . . . . by Jim Schultz #23292.2
Jim, don't get me started! Generally speaking, Sun Star wheels suck. Period! Oh sure thay make... by Christopher Moroni #23292.2.1
My guess is this will be a Tribute car, not an exact by any means. That much new by Jim Thoren #23292.2.2
Paul, just FYI it's Randleman, not Randieman, N.C. (EOM) by Andy Sixsmith #23292.3
Andy, thank you, what a pity - not such a good name! by Paul Normand #23292.3.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2014 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone