Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Randy Rusk
Posted On: Saturday November 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

All,

It is with great sadness that I pass along that Eric Gabriel passed away unexpectedly on October 17.

For many stateside Brooklin collectors, Eric was a steady supplier for these great models and often went beyond the dealer/buyer relationship with extra service and kindness. Like me, I'm sure many of you who dealt with him had a chance to call him friend.

In addition to being an avid collector, Eric, a native Brit, was a doting husband, having made a life in his US with his wife as an antiques dealer before becoming semi-retired but also a reliable source for Brooklin models. He got me hooked, in fact, helping me expand my collection from a few select models to nearly every release.

When his wife had a recurrence of a vicious cancer, he tended to her to her last days and then soldiered on through much sorrow and grief after her passing. And then, at a point that I worried that he'd ever come out of it, there was a bright spot. After searching for his old college girlfriend online, he was able to make contact and they immediately sparked. Eric was alive again and soon sold everything and moved back to England. There, he made a home with Felicity and conveyed - in every email he sent me - that he was extremely happy and enjoying every day.

So today, his widow, after I'm sure processing through much grief, logged onto his email account to see if anything needed to be tended to. And there she found my last email to him, catching up on the summer's activities and wishing him well - and encouraging him to update me soon.

While deeply saddened, I know Eric lived out his life about as good as anyone could have. This hobby brings together many people from around the world and I'm glad to say that I had the opportunity to know him. He will be missed.

Randy

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

In Memory of Eric Gabriel by Randy Rusk #16721
Eric will be sadly missed... by Peter Tait #16721.1
I never met him in person, but I think I would have liked to. (EOM) by Randy Bahler #16721.1.1
Randy, thanks for posting this. I too remember having by Randall Olson #16721.2
Like others, I had many interactions with Eric for years. by Ed Glorius #16721.3
Very sad news indeed. Never met in person but spoke on the phone often. by John Roberts #16721.4

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2014 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone