Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Clifford Read
Posted On: Tuesday January 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM

(PICS) Volvo PV544 I finally have a reasonable one.....
 photo P1280615_zpse13ee3ed.jpg

photo P1280616_zps8b1172a1.jpg

I've wanted a reasonable model of the old Volvo PV544 for ages.....the IXO version was a bit too narrow (I think they copied Revell's 1/18 version) and I felt that the Rob Eddie version was too expensive, at over $130, considering the lack of finished detail.
I did eventually find a yellow Rob Eddie version for less than $60 and stripped it, painted it red (basecoat/clearcoat), and used foil and paint to reasonably pick out the trim. Since the original model used a vac-formed window detail with the back window sunken in (body thickness), I formed a new rear glass from clear polycarbonate to fit more flush with the body.
I made the trim rings on the wheels from fine plated wire, formed into two small concentric hoops on each rim.
Certainly, my model doesn't have the detailed headlights, grille, and badging that the current resin models achieve, but at least I now have a reasonable version of the PV544 I've wanted in 1/43.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

(PICS) Volvo PV544 I finally have a reasonable one..... by Clifford Read #17270
Very nicely done. I too have used the wire trick for trim rings (EOM) by John Quilter #17270.1
Well done, Clifford, and thanks for posting your results. (EOM) by David Holcombe #17270.2
What a transformation! Here is the original yellow one -pic- by Karl Schnelle #17270.3
What a great redo! I have several PV's in my collection... by Peter Tait #17270.4
Clifford, it's beautiful! You do nice work. Love those wheels. (EOM) by David Knight #17270.5
That is quality work, Clifford...you have nothing to envy from any other version. (EOM) by Scott Brown #17270.6

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2014 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone