Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Albert Kopans
Posted On: Tuesday November 28, 2017 at 9:57 PM
Does anyone know anything about this car?
This is the only picture I could find, and some accompanying text.

"Ben has nestled another, even more rare, 1980 Oldsmobile Omega hightop prototype taxi in the center of the barn, with just 7,000 miles on the clock. He said the federal government budgeted about $150,000 for two of the prototypes, with raised roofs and electrically actuated doors and windows to allow for simpler loading and unloading of handicapped passengers. As the story goes, a Cleveland taxi company employed one of the prototypes, but the electric doors kept cutting out while in service, effectively trapping the passengers until a service truck could be dispatched from the main office. The government crushed one of the prototypes, but Ben found the other in a junkyard in Santa Barbara, California, and saved it with the promise he wouldn't operate it as a cab. "But it works great as a camper," he said."

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Does anyone know anything about this car? by Albert Kopans #23387
I don't know anything about it, but that is an ugly little bugger, isn't it. (EOM) by John Merritt #23387.1
Albert, are you sure this is not a pull from a movie, because that is positively by Lloyd Mecca #23387.2
I don't know... thought to have one built from an Esdo kit, (EOM) by Albert Kopans #23387.2.1
Would have been a great taxi for visiting basketball teams (EOM) by Tom Ciryak #23387.3
I cringe at the mention of that1980 Omega --I bought it new, by Mark Lampariello #23387.4
Mark, I have not seen it, but a version of the Volvo 240 was made in kit by David Holcombe #23387.4.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2018 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone