Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS : Hosted by Tony Perrone (Tony P)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums - Forum 24 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Richard Sufficool
Posted On: Sunday February 9, 2020 at 11:28 AM

This whole thing with DM doing this model started when I bought a Revell 1/24 kit to kitbash with my FM '53 Corvette model. In the kit was a decal set for Bill Von Esser's Panamera race car. I started doing some research on the man and the car. I actually got to talk with Bill's niece who as a young girl hung out in his Chicago speed shop. She remembered the celebrities she met there that included Steve McQueen and, of all people, Dave Garroway (you old farts like me will remember him.
I converted the '53 to a '54 with aluminum exhaust extensions, swapped out the grill with the mesh decal mounted on clear x-ray film. cards for the vehicle ID and a photoetched sheet for the proper badging and scripts. One of our colleagues, Dave, turned me on to a proper set of wire wheels and tires and I was pretty much done.
When I posted the pictures, the Corvette maven at DM (Tony will remember who... I forgot) contacted me and asked if I would send them the model and whatever research I had... and like magic, they produced it.
That's my 15 minutes of not much fame. LOL
These pics are of the stock DM model. I have since upgraded the scripts with photoetched pieces.

photo VonEsser022.jpg

photo VonEsser023.jpg

photo VonEsser006.jpg

photo VonEsser008.jpg

photo VonEsser012.jpg

photo VonEsser011.jpg

photo VonEsser016.jpg

photo VonEsser018.jpg

photo VonEsser007.jpg

Go back to Diecast Forums - Forum 24 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Von Esser's Panamericana [PIC] by Richard Sufficool #55950
Cool. Never seen a Vette with wire wheels! (EOM) by John Shamblin #55950.1
Love this story, did you get your model back? (EOM) by Chav Popov #55950.2
And if so, could you post them side by side? (EOM) by David Palmeter #55950.2.1
I actually never took pics side-by-side, sooooo..... by Richard Sufficool #55950.2.1.1
OK... I dug up some ancient pics of my Von Esser mod [PIC] by Richard Sufficool #55950.2.1.1.1
Nice job! Concerning the grille screen.... *PIC* by David Palmeter #55950.2.1.1.1.1
Well, there's grill framing. a bit more delicate than my ham-handed attempt. (EOM) by Richard Sufficool #55950.2.1.1.1.1.1
Nice story. Thought about this one; but, never pulled the trigger. (EOM) by Billy Collins #55950.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone