Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Paul Theriot, Devoted Collector (Paul T)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 18 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Josh Shy
Posted On: Monday May 13, 2019 at 10:53 AM

May 31st 1965, the 49th running of the Indy 500
The five-year-old "British Invasion" finally broke through as Jim Clark and Colin Chapman triumphed in dominating fashion with the first rear-engine Indy winning car, a Lotus 38 powered by Ford. With only six of the thirty three entries in the field having front engines, it was the first Indy 500 in history to have a majority of cars as rear-engine machines. James Clark Jr. was a British Formula One driver from Scotland, who won two World Championships in 1963 and 1965. Clark was a versatile driver who competed in sports cars, touring cars and the Indianapolis 500. He was particularly associated with the Lotus marque. Clark was killed in a Formula Two racing accident in 1968 in Hockenheim West Germany. At the time of his death, aged 32, he had won more Grand Prix races, 25, and achieved more Grand Prix pole positions, 33, than any other driver. He and Colin Chapman both have fantastic stories and I would invite you to look them up. Jim is another driver we lost too soon.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 18 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

May 31st 1965, the 49th running of the Indy 500 by Josh Shy #28889
"I LIKE" that - XCLNT Green color combo ... That looks nice !!! (EOM) by Dennis Mong #28889.1
+1 (EOM) by Bruce Parsons #28889.1.1
OK ... Keeping my eye peeled for one of them ... reasonable !!!1 (EOM) by Dennis Mong #28889.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone