Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas, Devoted Collector (John K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 18 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Bob Werner
Posted On: Friday February 7, 2020 at 12:29 PM

The very day I had almost completed the "saving" of a white 1:18 scale Maisto 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 (needed to complete the making of a side mirror), my wife and I unexpectedly spotted an almost exact 1:1 white 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 copy of it in the parking lot near where we were going for haircuts. She went in and made arrangements for our appointments while I seriously surveyed how this car differed from the diecast model: black hood stripe, red brake calipers, black carbon graphite roof, and black side mirrors and rear spoiler. Pretty doggone close to the "saved" diecast model.

This 1:18 version came from a thrift shop missing a driver's side mirror, the passenger side small back window and the entire rear diecast cargo hatch cover. My initial thoughts were to make it a possible pickup truck, but that would be highly unusual and a rather crazy option involving too many construction unknowns as well. So a pattern for the hatch cover was copied from another Maisto 2014 Corvette onto cardboard, fitted and painted gloss white. A clear acetate rear window was attached and where the hinge slots were, small red reflectors were added. Needless to say, the result does seem to have an ala-Tesla-pickup appearance. Actually, before knowing anything about the Tesla pickup, I saw the initial introduction on TV and thought that the truck was a possible tease and/or a comical prop made from cardboard with its simple and flat surfaces. Maybe subconsciously, my cardboard hatch cover piece resulted from my ill-conceived Corvette pickup idea and the TV Tesla pickup looking like cardboard? The model's interior and cargo area were carpeted, seats were painted, the engine detailed a little and a side window and a side mirror were made. Calipers were left black as the unmovable hatch cover was installed before seeing the 1:1 car, and removing the wheels would have damaged the permanent hatch cover installation for sure. The Corvette logo under the hood was colored, too. Now the $2 'Vette Z51 is "saved".

Thanks for looking...

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 18 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 "saved" by Bob Werner #29548

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone