Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas, Devoted Collector (John K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 18 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Mike DeTorrice
Posted On: Wednesday October 14, 2020 at 7:16 PM

LOL, everyone likes a nice,warm bunny ! Steve, at the
risk of being briefly very long-winded (if that's possible), depending on the ideas and car that are the subject and the technique being used, I probably might initially take anywhere from 6 to perhaps 18 shots for a typical picture post. I usually use strobe/flashes either hand held or tripod mounted. Sometimes I will use either a diffuser for the main light or a "slave flash" for a second small strobe.

I use a DLSR, either a Pentax K-30 or a Pentax *ist-DS and I usually image the car on a small "studio" set up using the camera on a tripod, although most backgrounds used are generally images taken previously in the "real world". Very occasionally, the background may be digitally created in a computer landscape generator like "Bryce 3D", "Vue" or DAZ 3D". These backgrounds may be placed behind the car by using various methods such as :

(1) Digitally in photo-shop, (or for me, usually an old version Paint Shop Pro 7.04)

(2) Rear projection by LCD screen or (a few times) by 35mm transparency/Mylar screen.

(3) Actual large print placed behind car.

(4) Taking the car outside. (very rarely used)

Methods 2 and 3 may tend to involve a split-exposure, in which a black velvet screen intially blocks off the background while the car is lit by flash or tungsten light.

Once I take the intial shots of a car on the "set", I generally take those images into the computer for cropping, exposure tweaks and for any backgrounds or special FX. It could take anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours over a few days to finish an image.

I usually use very small apertures (f40) to get a deep field of view. When needed, I sometimes take 4 or 5 images of a car in a row, each image being focused slightly further back on the car. These are then put together in one shot by "Combine ZP" a focus-stacking computer program that allows for huge depth of field to give a realistic feel to a close up model car image.

I am getting lazier as I get older, so just single quick snaps and a bit of basic tweaks and crops and the posting of older pictures I have taken over the years are becoming much more attractive and likely ways to get model car images !

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 18 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

(Pics) 1965 Plymouth by Mike DeTorrice #30123
That's another HW61 home-run. Gee, I thought the only rabbits around here were in Forum24. by Steve Jakubczak #30123.1
Well, that bikini looks pretty FAST to me. (EOM) by Billy Collins #30123.1.1
LOL, everyone likes a nice,warm bunny ! Steve, at the by Mike DeTorrice #30123.1.2
Thank-you Mike. Your pics show your expertise and unlimited knowledge in photography skills. (EOM) by Steve Jakubczak #30123.1.2.1
Super sharp / outstanding pics. Have the solid-black version - love it. (EOM) by Billy Collins #30123.2
Mike, you are a wizard with photography. (EOM) by Galen Laird #30123.3
Great shots, Mike. Really like by Bob Werner #30123.4
Great pics of an awesome car and wonderful model. (EOM) by Bob Ilsley #30123.5

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone