Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Knight
Posted On: Sunday November 25, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Pics: I’d be glad to, David, if this would be of interest. Here’s one I restored years ago.
Many years ago now, a neighbor’s little boy just couldn’t resist and “lifted” my red Thunderbird and took it for a joy ride crashing it in the process. Several days later hIs mother noticed it and asked my wife if I was possibly missing a red model car from my collection. For several days I just couldn’t have imagined where it went. So the car, such as it was, was returned by the boy. It was missing the Continental spare tire assembly, the rear bumper was broken as was the front. But worst of all, one of the A pillars was broken out and there were paint chips all over the car.

I couldn’t bear to throw it out so I set about restoring it. Before email and by snail mail I wrote to John Hall inquiring about replacement parts. Several weeks later, a package came from somebody (one of Amanda’s predecessors) at Brooklin with a cordial letter and all the parts needed for the restoration. I stripped the paint, was able with epoxy and a thin strip of copper to replace the missing A pillar such that I can’t remember which one it was I had replaced. Auto primer and Ford paint then available in spray cans from the dealer was applied. The car was reassemed and I got lucky. The restored car is virtually indistinguishable from my other red ‘Birds.

I’m hoping for a good result from the restoration of my barn find as well. Wish I had taken pictures of this car before I repaired it years ago. It was a mess. But here it is after the repair.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Pic: Barn Find: A ‘56 Ford Thunderbird Restoration Project: by David Knight #24915
Great project! Keep us informed, please, for I'm interested in your methods. Thanks! (EOM) by David Holcombe #24915.1
Pics: I’d be glad to, David, if this would be of interest. Here’s one I restored years ago. by David Knight #24915.1.1
Will be watching this with interest David - Great by Ken Smith #24915.1.1.1
Thanks, Ken. I hope this one turns out as well. (EOM) by David Knight #24915.1.1.1.1
"a full rotisserie restoration." :-) I can't wait to read about it. (EOM) by Karl Schnelle #24915.1.1.2
Pics: Well, Karl, “full rotisserie restoration” in 1:43 may be a bit of a stretch of the imagination by David Knight #24915.1.1.2.1
David, I have a set but they'd be twice the price of what you paid for the model! (EOM) by Randall Olson #24915.1.1.2.1.1
Randall, a message is on the way to you about those Kelsey-Hayes wheels. (EOM) by David Knight #24915.1.1.2.1.1.1
Looks like a nice project. good luck with it as you progress. I look forward to seeing it. (EOM) by John Merritt #24915.2
Thanks, John. (EOM) by David Knight #24915.2.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2018 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone