Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Monday December 3, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Good find, John. You have the Tootsietoy No. 1045 Jumbo/Torpedo
cross country bus. First introduced in 1937 in two versions, yours is of early production, as shown by the white rubber tires on metal wheels. The front wheel wells were open, with the front axle held by the base plate. This same version was used with two-tone paint in sets. Here's mine:

A rare later version was called the Trans-America Bus (no number) in a 1941 set, produced briefly before 1942 stopped most Tootsietoy production. However, the original Greyhound in a single color dropped the base plate and skirted the front wheels to hold the axle. Since rubber was by 1940 reserved for essentials, wheels were wooden. Here's mine:

Production without the base plate was marked on the underside of the roof as "TOOTSIETOY MADE IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA." I'm not sure if the versions with base plates were always so marked.

One more! In 1948 Tootsietoy produced GMC 3751 Greyhound Bus, six inches long. It remained in production several years.

I like the old Tootsies! (And have several)

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

For the bus collectors by Ken Smith #24940
Here's one of my favorites: (PIC) by David Holcombe #24940.1
(Pic) Here's an old Greyhound Scenicruiser that I have : by Mike DeTorrice #24940.2
Good one, Mike. You have a 1:64 scale model by Tootsietoy, late 1950s, by David Holcombe #24940.2.1
And another old Greyhound by John Quilter #24940.2.2
Good find, John. You have the Tootsietoy No. 1045 Jumbo/Torpedo by David Holcombe #24940.2.2.1
Great old buses! Thanks, guys! (EOM) by Karl Schnelle #24940.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2018 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone