Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Saturday January 5, 2019 at 4:45 PM

From the parade, another Popemobile, but different. (pics)

FIAT CAMPAGNOLA 1980 POPEMOBILE by Old Cars (Italy)

Pope John Paul II (1920-2005) became Pope in 1978. Unlike his predecessors, he did not care for the sedan chair, and instead shocked Italians by using the first "Popemobile." They were mostly shocked because it was a Toyota Land Cruiser; it was quickly replaced by the Fiat Campagnola.

Registered in the Vatican on 12 May 1980, this vehicle was where John Paul II became the target of an assassination attempt on 13 May 1981. At around 5:15 p.m. the Pontiff was injured by two gunshots from a 9 mm caliber Browning fired by the Turkish terrorist Mehmet Ali Ağca, while surrounded by the faithful gathered in St. Peter’s Square for the general audience.

Immediately after the assassination attempt, the level of security and personal protection for the Holy Father was increased and a new armored version of the Popemobile appeared. Pope John Paul II healed and went on to serve many more fruitful years.

Mehmet Ali Ağca served 19 years in an Italian prison for shooting John Paul until he was pardoned in the jubilee year of 2000 at the pontiff’s request. He was then deported to Turkey, where he spent an additional decade behind bars until being released in 2010.

This 1:43 model is imprinted underneath as made by Old Cars, Italy. It is of heavy metal and has an engine represented under its opening hood. I have no other information on this company, but I like this model.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

From the parade, another Popemobile, but different. (pics) by David Holcombe #25108
I have this rather infamous parade vehicle too. The figure looks very much like JPII ! by Mark Lampariello #25108.1
I like your comments, Mark, and we have similar feelings. Cars by David Holcombe #25108.1.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone