Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Friday January 11, 2019 at 5:48 PM

Don, here's some more information, but your question doesn't have
a simple answer.

(from the AutoWeek site) One of the coolest cars to ever pace the field at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was the 1941 Chrysler Newport, which was given the honor at the 1941 race.

The Newport Dual Cowl Phaeton was a limited-production car that was only produced in 1940 and 1941. At the end of 1941, American auto production was halted in order to make way for war manufacturing. So, in the minds of many, the Chrysler Newport was the last grand pre-war American car.

The car that paced the Indy 500 had a 143-hp, 5.3-liter straight-eight engine, and after the race, became the personal car of Walter P. Chrysler Jr.

In 2013, the car sold at auction for $880,000.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/indy-100/86-1941-chrysler-newport-acts-1941-indianapolis-500-pace-car#ixzz5cLEwd4Ep

where I found this picture and caption:

The 1941 Chrysler Newport, photographed in 2013 before auction.
PHOTO BY BARRETT-JACKSON

Hemmings, June 2010, had a fine article on the pace cars over the years. Here's what was said about 1941:

"Chrysler's pace car is probably the pre-war era's most famed, the twin-cockpit 1941 Chrysler Newport. Its driver was Allen B. "Tobe" Couture, a managing engineer who worked for Duesenberg before joining Walter P. Chrysler at Willys. The exact circumstances remain unclear, but in 1941, neither of the 500's co-winners (Mauri Rose, in relief of Floyd Davis) took home a Newport, which remains the only non-production car besides Fisher's early Packard to pace a pre-war event.
"Five such twin-cockpit Newports were built and, according to Newport authority John H. White of Sacramento, California, all apparently survive. It's not clear which one actually paced the start, although it had uncovered headlamps, as do three of the survivors. It's more apparent that the Newport may be the only surviving actual pace car from the pre-war years. The cars that didn't go to winners likely went back to their manufacturers, or were otherwise sold into oblivion."
------------------------

So, according to Hemmings, Brooklin got it wrong. But others disagree. Have fun finding an answer! David H

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Is anyone familiar with the 1941 Chrysler Newport dual cowl by Don Anderson #25135
PIC: Don, here's a link to a brief overview of the car by John Kuvakas #25135.1
This is the model that first really impressed me with Brooklin. (PICs) by David Holcombe #25135.2
Thanks guys and now my simple little question. Which one was by Don Anderson #25135.2.1
Don, here's some more information, but your question doesn't have by David Holcombe #25135.2.1.1
I'd bet on a pale green for the Pace Car. (EOM) by Dick Browne #25135.2.1.1.1Moderator
Well the only reason I rule out the green idea is there was a by Don Anderson #25135.2.1.1.1.1
Well if anyone is interested here is what I found out from all of by Don Anderson #25135.2.1.1.1.1.1
The Matrix cars are not intended to be Indy Pace Cars are they? More than one Newport was made. (EOM) by David Crowe #25135.2.1.1.1.1.1.1
You are welcome to come by and collect your $1. by Dick Browne #25135.2.1.1.1.1.1.2Moderator
Lol. (EOM) by Jack Dodds #25135.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone