Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Wednesday February 6, 2019 at 5:21 PM

1934 Studebaker by Brooklin and by National Products (PICs)

A souvenir from the Studebaker exhibit

A post card of the Studebaker exhibit at the Chicago World's Fair, 1934

In my collection:

I have been searching for this post card for quite a while, and it arrived just yesterday. Oh yes, the actual Giant Studebaker was mostly plaster over wood. Here's the story from a fine site, howstuffworks:

"The giant Land Cruiser, which reposed in the great hall of the Travel and Transport Building, was 80 feet long, 28 feet high, and 30 feet wide. The running boards were 21 feet in length, the windshield wiper three feet, and the tires 12.5 feet For maximum "eye appeal," it was painted Canary Yellow, a color later made available on production cars for an extra $80. Below the running board was a door that led visitors into an auditorium that could hold 80 guests. Films were shown that extolled the virtues of the new Studebakers and told, in dramatic fashion, how Studebaker had set more than 140 records for speed and endurance.

"Of course, a full line of normal-size Studebakers (some painted in Canary Yellow) were on display in the open foyer in front of the giant car. Directly to the left, large crowds gathered to watch craftsmen from Chicago's National Products Company cast 6.75-inch-long models of the Land Cruiser from molten metal. Each one had the words "Replica of Giant World's Fair Studebaker" embossed on the decklid. One could also buy a seven-inch-long Studebaker dual-wheeled stake-bed truck. The car was available in a variety of colors and the truck in red-both for the princely sum of 25 cents."

While I wish it were canary yellow, this Brooklin remains one of my all-time favorites.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

1934 Studebaker by Brooklin and by National Products (PICs) by David Holcombe #25316
David, Thanks for the good story and nice photos of the nice models. by Jacques Roest #25316.1
Thanks David. This was the second time Studebaker built a by Bob Jackman #25316.2
Thanks David. This was the second time Studebaker built a by Bob Jackman #25316.3
Found it! In Hemmings again, too. Here's a part of the article: by David Holcombe #25316.3.1
That would be the ultimate model to have in your collection ! (EOM) by Ken Smith #25316.3.1.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone