Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Graeme Ogg
Posted On: Friday February 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Agree. Enamels can stay soft and be easily damaged for quite a while..
I think people also think they can get away with just applying a couple of coats of enamel colour to bare metal or plastic, and the result is easily chipped with a slight knock even after it seems properly hardened.

If you don't want to get into the complication of using a spraygun, the best results (certainly on white metal) are probably achieved with acrylic-based car spray paints using the recommended primer - or maybe even an etching primer, which "bites" into the metal surface and provides a solid key for the colour coat.

That still doesn't guarantee that you won't ever chip or damage the resulting finish, but it's a better bet.

A point to note: car sprays used to be cellulose-based, then switched to acrylic a few years ago (I think for environmental reasons). If you have some old cellulose primer and use it with a new acrylic colour - or vice versa - you may get an unfortunate reaction between the two. Best to buy primer and colour of the same brand and formulation.

I have tended to use enamel paints only for small added detailing, which has the added advantage that if you mess up the detailing you can quickly wipe it off with enamel thinner or white spirit (mineral spirits) without damaging the main acrylic paint coat, then have another try. If the main colour and the added detail are both enamel, you would remove part of the main coat along with the defective detailing, and have to repaint the whole lot.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Be careful using Enamel Paint,some issues to consider- by Gregory Gunn #25324
Agree. Enamels can stay soft and be easily damaged for quite a while.. by Graeme Ogg #25324.1
More on paints by John Quilter #25324.2
This is very good advice and I was only holding back before I by Don Anderson #25324.3
This is all very helpful stuff, gentlemen. by David Knight #25324.4
Spray can enamels are always soft and it is that reason that I don't use them. I use automotive by Curtis Parisi #25324.5

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone