Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Rick Thompson
Posted On: Tuesday March 12, 2019 at 9:29 AM

Joe, I can't find any name given to this roofline, but looking at the Olds brochure
from '61, I learned something as well: this prototype from Sergio is a Classic 98 series two-door hardtop. The grille on the 98 series was different from that on the Super 88 and Dynamic 88, and the Classic 98 had the letters OLDSMOBILE on the hood whereas the other two didn't. The name was spelled out under the vertical bars in the grille on the lower-series cars. The lesser series had a 123" wheelbase, whereas the 98 rode on a 126" wheelbase and was six inches longer overall. Perhaps that's why the roofline is different--it's a different body. Seems that the 88s are the only real "bubbletops."

Also, there should be a chrome trim piece running the length of the body in the middle of the sculpted "cove" but I'm sure Sergio knows that. This is a prototype, as he said, so it probably doesn't show the final trimmed version.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

PICs 1961 OLDSMOBILE prototype by Sergio Goldvarg #25532
Not a fan of the 1:1, but I can't wait to have a model of it. Looks good. (EOM) by John Merritt #25532.1
Here I agree with John about the Olds styling that year. But there by Don Anderson #25532.2
I quite expect that convertibles of most 60s Goldvargs will eventually be produced. Easy by Jack Dodds #25532.2.1
Gonna be another sold out in short order. (EOM) by Tom Ciryak #25532.3
Looks great. Make mine Tropic Mist Polyurethane, please. by David Crowe #25532.4
David, I'd also vote for Tropical Mist Poly. BTW poly means a metallic color, not polyurethane. (EOM) by Curtis Parisi #25532.4.1
Thanks to google image, I learned something. by Joe Libricz #25532.4.1.1
Sergio, this is a model that is way overdue. Any chance that you by Bob Jackman #25532.4.1.1.1
Joe, I can't find any name given to this roofline, but looking at the Olds brochure by Rick Thompson #25532.4.1.1.2
Rick, The Starfire shared the same grill as the 98 series along by Bob Jackman #25532.4.1.1.2.1
I see the same thing, Rick. This anglular style was the "Classic 98 Holiday Coupe", by Mark Lampariello #25532.4.1.1.3
Thank you. I was given (and retained) incorrect info years ago. Thank you, sir. (EOM) by David Crowe #25532.4.1.2
Alpine Green please! by carl parrish #25532.4.2
Its going to be another hit Sergio! Love it...well done! (EOM) by Jack Dodds #25532.5
I recall White over Tropic Mist Poly was a beautiful color combo on the 61 Olds. (EOM) by Jack Dodds #25532.5.1
Twilight Mist Poly would also look great (and unusual) IMO. (EOM) by Jack Dodds #25532.5.2
It's great already in what seems to be Platinum Mist. Lots of blue-ish colors that year. (EOM) by Mark Lampariello #25532.5.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone