Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Friday March 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Time to dream! My proposal for an all new model in 1:43 scale: (PICs)
First, an artist's rendition:

Then, the hardtop version:

The Monte Carlo convertible as found:

And some information I have found from various sources on this Packard:

The Packard Monte Carlo, designed by Richard Arbib (who also did the Pan American), was built by Henney on a 22nd Series Custom 8 2-dr sedan chassis. Some sources say only one concept car was crudely constructed; others say one was completely finished and a second convertible model was also built. Another story says that one or both made the circuit of dealers for publicity purposes and just "disappeared". It's interesting to speculate how the Monte Carlo would have done in the marketplace, but it came along just prior to the 1951 models and by then the bathtub design was on the way out. One thing about it, rear visibility would have been the best of the 22nd/23rd series.
Designer Richard Arbib served in the U.S. military during World War II, returned to GM's design studio, and then, armed with a favorable assessment from Harley Earl, struck out on his own. His first major contract was with the Henney Automobile Company of Freeport, Illinois, which was then the largest builder of hearses and other professional cars in the United States.
Arbib worked his design skills with Henney from 1951 through 1954, creating both elegant professional cars and a new, custom-built Packard Super Station Wagon, with distinctive curved rear windows. It's during this period that his professional reputation came to the attention of Packard itself. Arbib became a consultant to the prestigious automaker, crafting the dramatic, pillarless Packard Monte Carlo design study, based on a Custom 8 chassis.

Stylist Richard Arbib, working for the custom body builder, Henney, took one of the notoriously ungainly “bathtub” post-war Packards (1948-1950) and created from it what was the best version of that unhappy design. Arbib almost succeeded in making a silk purse from a sow’s ear! Arbib’s Monte Carlo was a two door hardtop, coming just as General Motors was introducing that body style. Arbib’s design didn’t get past the one-off stage as the John Rinehart-designed ’51 Packards were being tooled for and the investment for tooling for the Monte Carlo on the “bathtub” body shell didn’t make financial sense as none of the body or trim components could be used on the upcoming ’51s.

My information on this interesting Packard concept is incomplete, but I think it could make a special 1:43 model.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Time to dream! My proposal for an all new model in 1:43 scale: (PICs) by David Holcombe #25549
Very interesting story. I never knew this car existed. I would by Ken Spear #25549.1
David, Have you considered contacting someone about doing a by Don Anderson #25549.1.1
Not in my collecting interest - but a very by Ken Smith #25549.1.1.1
Sign me up. I'd love this in 1/43. (EOM) by Mark Sweeney #25549.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone