Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Friday April 5, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Decals: A couple of years ago I attempted "decal making" with mixed
results and some satisfaction. I have no financial investment or profit motive in any of this information.

I did a little research on my computer and found McGonigal Paper & Graphics (MCGPAPER.COM) and eventually ordered their "Try It Kit." That included Inkjet Water Slide Decal information and basics. I also ordered a few sheets of decal paper and a can of decal coating spray. Cost was reasonable.

Results? The color of white cannot print without equipment that is beyond me. What is printed is what the camera sees, using the inks in the computer's printer. So lines of type (black on clear decal) were basic and a good starting place. Pictures of patterns, designs, etc. resulted in a mixed bag, due to may camera's limitations and my own lack of expertise.

Here are some of my results on some old toys from my shelves:

The passing of years has stopped this little adventure, and so I have given up any more work with decals (except to mess up a couple of old ones on a 1:43 model last week!), so no requests, please!

But if someone is more involved and looking for a sideline and/or hobby extension, I think the field as you describe it is quite possible. Good luck!

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

1955 Ford Sunliner kit by CCC by John Quilter #25648
Nice work as always John. (EOM) by Harvey Goranson #25648.1
Very nice indeed. (EOM) by Bob Jackman #25648.2
Very good and excellent choice of colors. (EOM) by Frank Racibozynski #25648.3
Very nice. Both of them are great colors. Great work. (EOM) by John Merritt #25648.4
Agree with all prior comments - Great job and very by Ken Smith #25648.5
Fine work, John. I like your work! (EOM) by David Holcombe #25648.6
CCC kits by Fred Lewis #25648.7
Very Nice (EOM) by Jacques Roest #25648.8
Those were great kits. by Joe Libricz #25648.9
The mention of the decals that came with this kit has me wondering by Don Anderson #25648.10
Decals: A couple of years ago I attempted "decal making" with mixed by David Holcombe #25648.10.1
Decal Printing by Marius Woolley #25648.10.1.1
I have made some decals but what I think we are after is by John Quilter #25648.10.1.1.1
I am fairly encouraged to see the response of you three with the by Don Anderson #25648.10.1.1.1.1
An attempt to replicate a badge by John Quilter #25648.10.1.1.1.1.1
A challenge by Maz Woolley #25648.10.1.1.1.1.1.1
You can always photoetch then airbrush the badges. (EOM) by Robert Bolin #25648.10.1.1.1.2
I've had better luck with a laser printer. Colors more vibrant and the saturation of color much by Tom Ciryak #25648.10.1.1.2
Does anyone have a source that will do custom decals ? (EOM) by Ken Smith #25648.10.2
A little bit more in MAR Online by Maz Woolley #25648.11

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone