Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by Gene Parrill
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Monday April 15, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Kenneth, you stumped me on your second favorite, the Heine-Velox. So I looked it up! (pic)

Gustav Heine, a German, to San Francisco in the late 1800s. Starting as a piano company apprentice, he rose to become a partner, until he clashed with the boss. The disagreement devolved into a duel involving piano tuning hammers which left Gustav Heine with a few extra scars but saw him take full control over the Bruenn Piano Company. Renaming the Heine Piano Company, Gustav Heine became very successful and in the early 1900s he branched out into the brave new world of the Automobile. In 1903 he opened one of the first Ford dealerships on the West Coast. He built a handful of his own cars (some accounts say just three) between 1904 and 1906 but the 1906 San Francisco earthquake destroyed his workshops and put a stop to his automotive aspirations for the time being. After rebuilding his business, Heine did not return to his automobile aspirations until 1921 when he purchased the Economy Steel Manufacturing Company and shortly thereafter unveiled the positively breathtaking Heine-Velox at the San Francisco auto show. At a time when a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost cost just under $10,000, Gustav Heine’s automobile came in at a staggering $25,000. It is believed that just four were constructed – three closed cars and one Victoria Convertible – and, rather unsurprisingly, none of them found buyers. At some point, the cars were delivered to a dealer for display, yet they mysteriously disappeared and only two (one Limousine and the sole Victoria) have resurfaced in restored condition.
(information from the Hyman Ltd. site, the company that sold this 1921 Heine-Velox.)

Kenneth, I like it! It would look great next to an Oldsmobile Limited.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

The missing years in 1:43 American cars: the brass age (pics) by David Holcombe #25695
I fully agree, David. by Richard Nosker #25695.1
Wow! I would love to see pics of any of those, Richard. (EOM) by Scott Brown #25695.1.1
The best I've been able to do with this era is detailing by John Quilter #25695.1.2
Any possibility of a few pictures? This list looks like a dream sheet to me! (EOM) by David Holcombe #25695.1.3
Here are some more from pics I've made. by Harvey Goranson #25695.1.4
Using Richard's list, here's one that looks interesting: (pic) by David Holcombe #25695.2
And another, one I've heard of and had fun looking up. (pic) by David Holcombe #25695.2.1
Richard's models are superb. I've been lucky enough to see a few photos (EOM) by John Roberts #25695.2.1.1
The "Fatty Arbuckle" 1919 Pierce is one of many that I have by kenneth Hodges #25695.2.1.2
Kenneth, you stumped me on your second favorite, the Heine-Velox. So I looked it up! (pic) by David Holcombe #25695.2.1.2.1
It certainly would David, either one of the two remaining by kenneth Hodges #25695.2.1.2.1.1
Perhaps this 1918 Cadillac by Vlad Sorokolat is a harbinger of the future? by Harvey Goranson #25695.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone