Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: John Kuvakas Zone Diplomat
Posted On: Sunday September 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM

I began selling off much of my collection a few years ago. My wife didn't want to be burdened with trying to sell it. For that reason, along with the ever-changing market, I started weaning out the most precious of my models while the market was still good. I also wanted to avoid making my wife have to negotiate deals (the vultures swoop in pretty early, many of them offering ludicrous money on high-value models) while dealing with grief.

I know Dick discussed a several possibilities in the past. Ultimately, he found a way to deal with his collection in a manner that made it easy on his family while avoiding those who would cherry-pick the good stuff leaving behind a significant number of models that are worth pennies on the dollar.

Most of us have a far more optimistic expectation of the value of our models than what may be true. I can't tell you how many heirs I've dealt with that were convinced by their dad, brother, spouse, etc. that each of their Franklin Mint models had appreciated in value and were now worth hundreds of dollars each.

I know Lisa appreciates Gary's help and involvement. I also know Gary will deal with integrity for all parties. Dick did a good job of making sure his models go to collectors while taking good care of his family at the same time.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Dick Browne's collection by John Kuvakas #26351Zone Diplomat
If I recall correctly, the retailer might be oldtoystoreusa.com by Harvey Goranson #26351.1
Just jumped from 8 to 11 BRKs. Is this Dick's collection already? by Harvey Goranson #26351.1.1
I think that's them. The only name I have for the seller is "Gary." (EOM) by John Kuvakas #26351.1.1.1Zone Diplomat
Yep, Gary is the man. Those are his listings. (EOM) by Randall Olson #26351.1.1.1.1
I've got bids on three of them. (EOM) by Robert Bolin #26351.1.1.2
leave off the .com to find it easier! I think many of us would want a memento from his collection. (EOM) by Karl Schnelle #26351.1.2
Just bought the Henry J by John Kuliak #26351.1.2.1
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought the Blue 1950 Packard. (EOM) by Mark Sweeney #26351.1.3
I hope I didn't steer you wrong Mark - hard to tell shades of blue on the internet. (EOM) by Harvey Goranson #26351.1.3.1
I think it's the one I want. The box is labeled Packard Blue Metallic. (EOM) by Mark Sweeney #26351.1.3.1.1
I just heard from the seller. It is, indeed, Dick's collection. He's offering... by John Kuvakas #26351.2Zone Diplomat
Dick Browne's collection by Al Stack #26351.3
It's a dilemma we all face. by John Kuvakas #26351.3.1Zone Diplomat
I would like to have one of his models, so I am bidding on the by BenD Lampson #26351.4
I've got bids in on two of the Buicks and the trailer. (EOM) by Robert Bolin #26351.5

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone