Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: Jean Philippe Sergent
Posted On: Saturday March 21, 2020 at 2:12 AM

to help you.

Cadillac names and options have been complicated to follow during the brand's history, dropping some options from some periods of time, and bringing them from others...

The name "Fleetwood" is almost as old as "Fisher" in the brand's history, both were coach builders companies that have been bought and associated with the Cadillac brand to build specific car bodies. Way back around 1908-'16.

Fleetwood designs, most of the time, luxury trims or longer wheelbase series, both 2 or 4 doors body versions than "regular" Deville, Coupe, Calais, series 62 Cadillacs...

Eldorados are Fleetwoods.

Fleetwoods series 75 are the common "limousines", seven or nine passengers Sedans, Imperial Sedans ( with glass division from rear compartment ), based on stretched chassis.

On top of the luxurious "Fleetwood" series came options and names such as "sixty Special" aka 60S in 1938, "Brougham" and many more...

The Fleetwood sixty special is, most of the time, from 1938 to 1970 included, a Fleetwood without vinyl roof. ( an easy way to recognize them during that period of time )
The Fleetwood with a vinyl roof option is the Fleetwood Brougham, it's a second Fleetwood version, offered in 1965.

So, for example, in 1969, you could enter a Cadillac dealership and purchase the Fleetwood Brougham ( vinyl roof ), or the Fleetwood Sixty Special ( no vinyl roof )

Starting in 1971, no more factory produced Fleetwoods without the vinyl roof option, but the car is designated with both names such as Fleetwood Sixty Special brougham, up until 1973 included.

In 1974, interior options are added to the available "Fleetwood Brougham" version to create even more luxurious and distinctive trims, such as Fleetwood Brougham d'Élegance, or Fleetwood Brougham Talisman, until 1976 included.

1977 sees the return of only one version, mainly, the Fleetwood Brougham, until 1984.

In 1981 Cadillac introduce the Fleetwood Brougham coupe as well as the sedan, until 1986 and from 1989 to 1991 if I recall correctly.

In 1985, Cadillac offers a totally new design lineup, including of course the Fleetwood, with optional Fleetwood d'Elegance package , and the Fleetwood Brougham, but the Fleetwood Brougham is now a totally different car, remaining close to the previous designs started around 1981.

In 1987, Cadillac offers now the returns of the Fleetwood sixty special until 1993, based on the DeVille style.

The Fleetwood Brougham version will remain a very distinctive car than the Fleetwood versions offered by Cadillac until 1993.

From 1993 to 1996, the Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham are the same but new distinctive car again, in terms of exterior design, different from the rest of the lineup. That's the very last generation.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Cadillac resources by Albert Kopans #27601
For example, what is this? by Albert Kopans #27601.1
This is a Fleetwood Brougham. by David Crowe #27601.1.1
Wiki says the name retired in 1976. I will check the other site, thank you. (EOM) by Albert Kopans #27601.1.1.1
Interesting. I have never seen the 1971 thru 1976 Fleetwoods referred to as Sixty Specials. by David Crowe #27601.1.1.1.1
Try this extensive brochure website: by John Quilter #27601.2
Albert, some explanations... by Jean Philippe Sergent #27601.3
Cadillac Nomenclature Wrote this and forgot to post it! by Raymond Paszkiewicz #27601.3.1
Thank you all. I will figure it out now. (EOM) by Albert Kopans #27601.4
The Cad Database is alive and well, residing at the ... by Lloyd Mecca #27601.5
Any thoughts on the Sixty Special name, Lloyd? (EOM) by David Crowe #27601.5.1
It's a derivative designation of the series 60. (EOM) by Jean Philippe Sergent #27601.5.1.1
David, from my references, here is what I have… by Lloyd Mecca #27601.5.1.2
Thanks for the info on the new database Lloyd. (EOM) by Jay Golan #27601.5.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone