Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Wednesday June 17, 2020 at 6:14 PM

Two from Danbury Mint / Painting pewter (pics)
I've had a shelf of these for a long time, and several years ago attempted to paint a couple with mixed results.

I cleaned them with dishwashing detergent and hot water in the kitchen sink (while I was doing the dishes, too.) I used a favorite light gray primer.

Research was fun, using google to look at the real things, both photographs and artistic recreations.

A few parts came off with some gentle nudging, but be very careful; pewter is a soft metal.

And here are the results:

Most of all, I enjoyed the process! Other than color, the biggest change was "glass" in the Maxwell's windshield. Maybe one of these days, I'll attempt that Lincoln. But I have another project in line, and then . . . Enjoy!

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Two from Danbury Mint / Painting pewter (pics) by David Holcombe #28255
Excellent job David. (EOM) by Bob Jackman #28255.1
Great work David. (EOM) by Shel Platt #28255.1.1
Great work, I always wonder which of these pewter Danbury items by John Quilter #28255.2
And some (like the Maxwell) are just copied Yesteryear toys. (EOM) by Harvey Goranson #28255.2.1
Nice work, David. Great history too (EOM) by Jacques Roest #28255.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone