Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: BenD Lampson
Posted On: Monday June 29, 2020 at 8:10 PM

With the detail that low production limited edition white metal models offer these days,
I would rather buy a white metal version at $300 versus a resin version at $100, if it is a model I really want, and I am far from wealthy (I just have low overhead costs )

White metal models require high tooling costs and a lot of manual labor time, so when only a handful are produced, the cost of them need to be very high to recoup expenses and make a profit.

If a resin manufacturer builds a model that I desire, I will buy it if it is not offered in white metal first.

There is just something about the hefty weight and low production numbers that really make you feel like you have a collectible in white metal models.

You see how fast Buz at Rt. 66 sells out of a certain new Conquest model?

That is because he only has 8, 9 or 10 of each made!

His models are VERY limited and truly collectible!

And although I don't personally care for the new Brooklin scale, they will sell and most likely become coveted collectors items and double, triple the original cost, or even more on the 2nd market.

I know some of you will say that it isn't about what the model is worth, but lets be honest...collecting these gems is like collecting fine paintings or antique coins.

You are not collecting as an investment, but it is a nice feeling to know they are worth something, so maybe you don't feel like a sucker spending all your money and having nothing to show for it.

Look at Motor City models.....they were very pricey for the time, and people did complain about the cost, but look at the pricing they demand now!

I believe these new white metal models like Conquest/Madison, the newer Brooklins, Minimarque, Highway Travelers, SMTS and WMCE (Western models) will follow Motor City popularity and be very expensive as time slips by.

(this is a response to Marius Woolley comment #28332.4 below)

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

With the detail that low production limited edition white metal models offer these days, by BenD Lampson #28336
I agree with your buying process, Ben. I'm pretty much the same. by John Kuvakas #28336.1
BenD I basically agree with your buying habits and I too by Bob Jackman #28336.1.1
Bob, the Victory models are second to none in my opinion! I have only one and it sits center in my by BenD Lampson #28336.1.1.1
This Studebaker is really special, BenD. Thanks for posting it. (EOM) by David Holcombe #28336.1.1.1.1
Always my pleasure David...I had better pics but I must have mistakenly deleted them, by BenD Lampson #28336.1.1.1.1.1
Is diecast zamak the unwanted stepchild here? by Harvey Goranson #28336.2
Not an unwanted stepchild for me! by Karl Schnelle #28336.2.1
No aversion to diecast models for me, bring 'em on. (EOM) by John Quilter #28336.2.2
PICs not for me ………... by Chris Sweetman #28336.2.3
Harvey...is that Premium X Challenger resin or diecast? ....I thought they were resin. (EOM) by BenD Lampson #28336.2.4
I'm pretty sure it's diecast. The number is PRD408J and... by Harvey Goranson #28336.2.4.1
BTW, the AutoArt Miata in the first pic came from the Dick Browne collection. by Harvey Goranson #28336.2.5
For me, The various resin models have completely superseded white-metal. by Clifford Read #28336.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone