Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Crowe
Posted On: Wednesday July 22, 2020 at 11:46 PM

Are you attempting to attach photo etched trim or cast metal trim?
The ideas of cotton or qtips and fast acting superglue are very dangerous. That is likely to end up with a bunch of cotton fibers permanently adhered to the blob of superglue you just permanently adhered to your cherished model. Those methods have their place but not for a novice. If the loose piece is bent away from the body, that may be required.

If you’re trying to get a flat piece at stay flat on a surface, I recommend watered down white glue like kids eat in school. It is water soluble and allows you to clean any excess away as it dries with just water. Place a small amount where the piece needs to go, give it a couple of minutes to get tacky, and then press the loose piece into place. Hold it with a toothpick. Use another toothpick with a water moistened tip to clean any excess that becomes apparent.

Sooooooo many models are ruined with superglue. And once that damage is done, it is irreversible.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Attaching metal trim by Michael Garrett #28467
You are right to worry about this. There are a lot of wrong ways and few by Don Anderson #28467.1
I have had good luck using some clear nail polish under the piece by John Quilter #28467.1.1
Since this is closer to photo-etched trim rather than a wire metal strip, I by Ken Spear #28467.1.2
Are you attempting to attach photo etched trim or cast metal trim? by David Crowe #28467.2
Glue by Michael Garrett #28467.2.1
I see what you mean. by David Crowe #28467.2.1.1
Hobby stores sell canopy glue for airplane modellers. That's another option. (EOM) by Harvey Goranson #28467.2.1.1.1
I resized for easier viewing. (EOM) by John Kuvakas #28467.2.1.2
How did I do that? by John Kuvakas #28467.2.1.2.1
Thanks! (EOM) by Michael Garrett #28467.2.1.2.2
I've used Gator's Grip quite sucessfully a few times. by Graeme Ogg #28467.2.1.2.2.1
Thanks by Michael Garrett #28467.3
I've used Future Floor Wax with excellent results on P.E. parts on models. It's water soluble too. (EOM) by Steve Jakubczak #28467.3.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone