Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Saturday July 25, 2020 at 6:46 PM

First came the kit:

Then came the idea:

For those who don't remember 1969 and/or American Motors, AMC produced a 2 passenger sports coupe named the AMX. Soon they produced a faster version most often painted in vertical bands of red, white, and blue and specially equipped with NHRA Super Stock racing options for its V8. It was sometimes referred to as the AMX Tribute, and probably numbered about 50. (However, other AMC similarly equipped models had similar paint schemes and were at times referred to as "Tribute" models.) Late in the production year, AMC produced a few hundred more, using up the NHRA optional equipment already in stock. Some of these entered the next production year as 1970 models, with up-dated body parts.

This is a simple kit, as I started it a little tired after building the white metal ERA racer.

Then that tri-color paint job caught me.

It seems that AMC, restorers, or time itself has resulted in several different shades of blue, so I chose one that I saw several times and liked best.

Next is something we don't see too often in our 1:43 lives:

And here is the result:

PS- The majority of these Tribute AMX cars were produced with a single large hood scoop. Reproducing that would have turned this into a major task and I chose to stay with the standard AMC hood, as did at least a few of those produced had.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

1969 American Motors AMX Tribute (pics) by David Holcombe #28482
Excellent! (EOM) by Lloyd Mecca #28482.1
What a challenge! It came out great, David! (EOM) by John Kuvakas #28482.2
+1 Great masking! (EOM) by Mark Lampariello #28482.2.1
That is so cool! (EOM) by Karl Schnelle #28482.3
The AMX was and still is a dayum goodlooking car !! (EOM) by Steve Jakubczak #28482.3.1
My brother Denny has an original 1970 AMX that he used to race back then Currently being restored (EOM) by Tom Ciryak #28482.3.1.1
It's a Big Bad Orange with a black mask (EOM) by Tom Ciryak #28482.3.1.1.1
How do you like that Frog tape. Beats the heck out of masking tape doesn't it. (EOM) by Tom Ciryak #28482.4
Yes, and thanks, Tom. It's good stuff! (EOM) by David Holcombe #28482.4.1
I have this kit by Marius Woolley #28482.5

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone