Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Harvey Goranson
Posted On: Thursday September 10, 2020 at 9:13 PM

Took some pics of my Top Marques B6 Birkin Bentley single seater today.
Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin set the outer circuit lap record at Brooklands in 1932 at 137.96. The 1929 chassis was fitted with single-seater bodywork and Bentley's 4.5-liter supercharged engine. Birkin's record didn't last long, it was topped by the John Cobb's 24-liter Napier-Railton in 1935.

Originally the car was red. At some point in time it was painted light blue - what other reason would there by for Max Kernick to paint it like that? But I couldn't find details about the color change. Happily, the car has been returned to its dark red color. Presently the real car has black wheels, but perhaps they were red in 1932? Neo released a red version with black wheels, but I saw no reason to mess with perfection. Max's models rank up there as the best ever in white metal.

As examples, note the engine detail, including Bentley photoetched parts on the valve cover. Something I only recently noticed on both models concerns the windscreen frame. On the real car the metal Brooklands screen frame is made horizontal by a piece of wood. The base of the screen frame is painted to replicate the wood color!

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Took some pics of my Top Marques B6 Birkin Bentley single seater today. by Harvey Goranson #28734
Nice ! The removable engine covers are a great feature. (EOM) by Mike DeTorrice #28734.1
Found a bit more info via Facebook. by Harvey Goranson #28734.2
Those both are great! What detail! (EOM) by Karl Schnelle #28734.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone