Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Graeme Ogg
Posted On: Sunday September 13, 2020 at 5:14 PM

A little bit of technical confusion here, I think.
Chris's video is a demonstration of pad printing (or tampo printing as it is also called) which uses very soft, fine-grained foam pads to apply complex areas of colour, lettering, logos etc. to the bodywork instead of using decals.

But that is not how chrome window frames are done. That uses a quite different process, usually called "hot foil" printing (or stamping). This was discussed in post #28509 back at the beginning of July, where I offered a very brief description of the process and gave a link to a very short video demonstration of hot foil printing.

Here's a link to that post:

Post 28509

or if you don't trust links you'll have to go into the Diecast Zone Archive (very bottom of this web page) and ask it to display month 7 then scroll all the way through. Aw, come on, it's a secure link!

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Little inquire. Photo-etched or Silver paint, what do You prefer ? (EOM) by renato camesasca #28748
Neither. Pad-printed chrome is the most realistic. by Harvey Goranson #28748.1
Agree with Harv. (EOM) by Chris Sweetman #28748.1.1
What the difference in processes, gents? (EOM) by John Kuvakas #28748.1.1.1
Photo-etched is 2 dimentional and needs glueing in place - if this isn’t …. by Chris Sweetman #28748.1.1.1.1
Thanks, Chris. Do you know what the pad-printing process entails? (EOM) by John Kuvakas #28748.1.1.1.1.1
John, this video shows pad printing in process. There was an AUTOart …. by Chris Sweetman #28748.1.1.1.1.1.1
A little bit of technical confusion here, I think. by Graeme Ogg #28748.1.1.1.1.1.1.1
Chrome Trim? by John Daniels #28748.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone