Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Tuesday October 13, 2020 at 7:58 PM

1931 Maybach Zeppelin 'P' Models No. 3, a kit that I have just completed (pics)
First, the 1:1

The German automotive firm of Maybach was founded in 1909 by Wilhelm Maybach. From 1929 to 1939 Maybach's premier model was termed the Zeppelin, commemorating for Maybach its famed engines for the lighter-than-air Zeppelins. The result was an enormous luxury vehicle which weighed approximately 3000 kg (6600 lb), powered by a 12 cylinder engine and driven through a compact gearbox with constantly meshing, obliquely cut gear wheels. The gears were engaged by means of shift dogs which were moved with the help of vacuum pressure. The clutch only had to be operated for starting off, stopping and reversing.

The kit was produced in 1975 by 'P' Models, which was Peter Ottenheimer of Zurich, Switzerland. This was his third and final model. Barry Lester (Auto Replicas) did the Maybach for 'P' Models. Forum member Harvey Goranson kindly found this information for me as I was attempting my building of an earlier 'P' Model.

So here's how I started this Maybach:

The casting was in its original condition, having aged for some 45 years in its original envelope packaging. I like a note at the bottom of the directions sheet: "It should be noted that this is a 1/43rd. scale model. The prototype is a very big car, overall length being 5.50 M. Our model being 127 MM. is exact." signed BKL (Barry Lester?)

My Dremel tool, a friend of many years, was one casualty of this build. 'Nuff said.

Colors abound for restored 1:1 Maybach Zeppelins, and I flirted with this one:

But chose to use a dark blue, more forgiving of my problemed construction.

Other companies in more recent years have made 1:43 versions of the Maybach Zeppelin. Here's one that I found in my "nearly forgotten" section:

Other interpretations have been made by GLM, Whitebox, and some other firms. The only "top up" version seems to the the 'P' Models kit.
One more kit is now on my "one of these days" list. Just this week I found and ordered 'P' Models No. 2, the 1938 Adler Trumpf Junior Sedan. The car has been modeled by other companies, but I thought it might be nice to have the three 'P's together. Enjoy!

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

1931 Maybach Zeppelin 'P' Models No. 3, a kit that I have just completed (pics) by David Holcombe #28934
I love that you share the process with us, David. Thanks. (EOM) by John Kuvakas #28934.1
Perhaps you can start a video series, "My Build." (EOM) by John Kuvakas #28934.1.1
Great job David, I enjoy your narrative and photos of the building by Rich Pendleton #28934.1.1.1
3P's !!!! Can't wait! (EOM) by Karl Schnelle #28934.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone