Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Wednesday October 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM

I think one of the reasons more white metal kits are not attempted is the problems in casting. This is a Mikansue Austin Ruby of a few years ago, straight from the box.

Of course the picture is larger than the actual 1:43 casting, but the problems are evident. Here's the other side.

My attempts so far to improve such castings before painting and assembly involve hand filing, use of the Dremel tool and its many attachments, and Testors Contour Putty. My results (as in my recent report of the 'P' Model Maybach Zeppelin) show that I can use some advice.

Does anybody have a suggestion? (And, yes, I have the new Invar American Austin on order.) Here's the 1:1 that I would dearly love to replicate in 1:43.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Help needed with metal working (pics) by David Holcombe #28940
That looks like a pretty poor casting with lots of defects. I would by Ken Spear #28940.1
I built and sold a lot of Mikansue kits years ago. by Rich Pendleton #28940.2
Thank you, gentlemen. I think I'll put this one aside for now. (EOM) by David Holcombe #28940.2.1
Perhaps the worst I ever saw from them was their Avanti. by Harvey Goranson #28940.2.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone