Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Ken Spear
Posted On: Wednesday October 14, 2020 at 7:08 PM

That looks like a pretty poor casting with lots of defects. I would
try to get rid of as much of the high points by sanding using assorted grades of wet/dry sandpaper. I never use files on white metal(or limited to removing excess pieces on the casting like around the windows etc. but never directly on the body) as white metal is so soft that file marks can lead to even more headaches. Once the high points have been removed, I use 3M Glazing & Spot Putty to fill pinholes, any remaining deep scratches and any hairline cracks. You may have to apply, let dry and sand many times before you get a really good finish. Top off with a good automotive etching primer (I use Duplicolor) and then your final color coat.Sorry but this project looks like a lot of work. Good luck David.
P.S.There is also an automotive primer called a "high build"primer.It is used on real cars to fill deep scratches and imperfections. I purchased a spray can of it but have never used it. I am afraid that it may cover up things like door lines, etc.in the process. Maybe another forum member can shed more light on this primer.
By the way, this model will make a great companion with your Invar Austin.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Help needed with metal working (pics) by David Holcombe #28940
That looks like a pretty poor casting with lots of defects. I would by Ken Spear #28940.1
I built and sold a lot of Mikansue kits years ago. by Rich Pendleton #28940.2
Thank you, gentlemen. I think I'll put this one aside for now. (EOM) by David Holcombe #28940.2.1
Perhaps the worst I ever saw from them was their Avanti. by Harvey Goranson #28940.2.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone