Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Posted By: Harvey Goranson
Posted On: Wednesday November 11, 2020 at 2:36 PM

She's bad! She's tough! Some might find her beautiful! She's here direct from Utah - she's....
....Bombshell Betty! From her ample gold-colored headlight covers to her beautiful gams (er...I mean tailfins), she's a one-of-a-kind lady! She's a hot one, but has the grace to wear a long skirt on all sides. And no make-up either - she wears the skin she was born with (um...at a GM stamping plant), though she is tatooed on her shapely rear end.

This '52 Buick Super Riviera was a barn find and, I presume, was not worthy of restoration. Jeff Brock set about rebuilding it in 2009, striking a balance between aerodynamics and keeping some of the Riv's classic lines. The straight-eight engine was retained but upgraded in its final form with two carbs and the bomb-shaped intake scoop. Engine class "XO" is for pre-1960 inline, overhead valve engines. Body class GCC = Gas-powered competition coupe. The "dagmars" on the headlights came from a 1930s Chevy.

At the 2009 Speed Week Brock set a new class record at over 130 mph. Further records fell in 2010 and 2012, with the last record set in 2013 at 165.735 mph. Students at Utah Valley University are working on changes to Betty in the hopes of cracking 200 mph. I'd be tempted to say that could make it the world's fastest Buick, but then I remember the Grand National stockers from the late 70s and early 80's which might have been good for that.

On a side note, back around 5th or 6th grade I bought an AMT 1:25 3-in-1 kit of a '53 Studebaker. One option was to make a Bonneville streamliner. Parts included a Chrysler Firepower engine with a tall double blower setup. Well, I had seen Studes from the salt flats in magazines with a much lower profile, and dug around my parts bin to find a front-mount blower setup so I could keep the stock hood. The kit even included rounded inserts for the headlights much like you see here on Betty. Used a lot of body putty and chopped the top. Won third place at a local Woolworths model car building contest.

Go back to Diecast Forums Forum 43 Diecast Zone

Message thread:

She's bad! She's tough! Some might find her beautiful! She's here direct from Utah - she's.... by Harvey Goranson #29158
That's one heck of a cool Buick ! (EOM) by Mike DeTorrice #29158.1
I kinda find it funny that they named her Betty. Because it looks like by Don Anderson #29158.2
Certainly true of Betty Boop and Betty White. Betty Crocker, not so much. (EOM) by Harvey Goranson #29158.2.1
Now that's something you don't see every day. The bomb looks like it is by Randall Olson #29158.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone