Legacy Motors Presents FORUMS: Hosted by John Kuvakas
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Wednesday November 18, 2020 at 4:12 PM

MINICHAMPS 1940 FORD DE LUXE STATION WAGON revised (pics)
I liked this relatively low priced 1:43 model when I saw early pictures, but I hesitated because of the lack of wood graining. After all, that’s what defines a “woody.” Yet it still impressed me with its styling interpretation, and I bought it. I said that here on the forum and master collector Harvey Goranson responded with an offer I couldn’t refuse. He sent me a very correct decal sheet of just the right pattern, distinct but not overwhelming. I spent some time with pictures of the 1:1 Ford woodies and found that to be their styling. It also seems that as of 1940 Ford was the only US car company that built its own woody bodies. So I had fun. Thanks, Harv!

I took the upper body off the chassis (three little screws) and I became more and more impressed with this Minichamps model. The exterior had well-proportioned wipers, mirror, license tags (“1940”) front and rear, and a tail gate treatment that looks realistic enough to open (it doesn’t). The bright work on the front is true to its 1:1 origins. The spare tire is also well done.

The interior has a beautifully detailed and painted dashboard, a gear shift, foot pedals, and even the under-dash heater. Even with the open windows in the front doors, it is difficult to see all this but nice to know it’s there. I also like the three seats and the chromed interior door handles.
The model’s underside delighted me because it has the information that too often I have to get from the box and tape to the bottom of the model: full name and date of the car, scale, and manufacturer.

My only complaint with the original is the lack of wood graining on the exterior panels. Thanks to Harv, I’ve had a lot of fun attempting to improve that situation. Ford did not build a great contrast, and I have tried to be true to that.

I’m sure others could arrive at a better result and I recommend the process to you.
Have fun!

And one more just to enjoy it.

Go back to Diecast Forums – Forum 43 – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

MINICHAMPS 1940 FORD DE LUXE STATION WAGON revised (pics) by David Holcombe #29209
If it were me I'd repaint the body parts into the cream or beige you by Don Anderson #29209.1
Great work, as usual, David. I think you've improved the original markedly. (EOM) by John Kuvakas #29209.2
I think the wood decal material looks about right for Gumwood. Ford used Gumwood or Birch for by Curtis Parisi #29209.3
beautiful work David (EOM) by Geoff Jowett #29209.4
David, great work on your Ford Woody. by John Ellis #29209.5
Go for it, John, and be sure to post the results. I think it's a good project. (EOM) by David Holcombe #29209.5.1
I showed my wife these pix. She's very impressed with the artistry of my Forum buddies! (EOM) by Mark Lampariello #29209.6
Wow, great work. What patience that must have required. (EOM) by Mark Sweeney #29209.7
You are most welcome David! I thought these decals would work well for this. by Harvey Goranson #29209.8
For those who want the same decal sheet, here is where I got it. by Harvey Goranson #29209.8.1
Thanks, Harv. And there's far more on this sheet than is needed for this wagon. Great! (EOM) by David Holcombe #29209.8.1.1
David. Nice job! I enjoyed your detailed step by step post. Thanks. (EOM) by Randall Olson #29209.9
I appreciate your kind words, Randall. Mostly, I just have fun with my little cars. (EOM) by David Holcombe #29209.9.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone