Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by Sheila Kelly (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: Bruce Gibbins
Posted On: Saturday December 1, 2018 at 12:18 AM

With pix. From a book being read by my dearly beloved there is a reference made to a:
"CROSSLEY BUGATTI"

A British French co-production.

The Crossley Bugatti was manufactured between 1923 and 1925. Only 24 were made although there were plans for at least 500. Chassis numbers range from CM 1601 to 1625.
The cars were assembled from components bought in from Bugatti and it is not certain how much of the car was actually made as opposed to assembled in Manchester, England. It is reported that Gorton cars had Crossley crosses on the axles and a contemporary test reports praises the gear box and back axle as much less noisy than those of the French made cars.
The car was also available as chassis only at 575 for the Touring version or 750 for the Sports. The Sports with Two-Seated "Grand Prix" body cost 840.
The illustrations below all come from a contemporary Crossley brochure but probably represent cars of French manufacture that could be ordered through Charles Jarrott & Letts. It is not certain which bodies were fitted on the cars made at the Gorton factory but at least one four and one three seater were made.
The above prices are as quoted in the Crossley brochure. It is reported that the Manchester built cars sold for considerably less than the Molsheim ones and an article in "The Auto Motor Journal" dated December 6th, 1923 quotes a price of 350 for the chassis and 475 for the complete 3 seater.

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

With pix. From a book being read by my dearly beloved there is a reference made to a: by Bruce Gibbins #39642
thanks Bruce, I love obscure auto history (EOM) by Geoff Jowett #39642.1
Very interesting Bruce. I didn't know about this one... by John Roberts #39642.2
Thanks, Bruce. I like to see authentic cars used to bring fiction to life. (EOM) by David Holcombe #39642.3

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2018 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone