Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by Sheila Kelly (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – The Lounge – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Wednesday March 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Okay, Jerry. You caught me with the very first picture, the electric car. So I've had fun
doing a little research.

The inventor/developer of your pictured antique car is Thomas Parker (1843-1915), sometimes referred to as the English Thomas Edison. He was an electrical engineer, inventor, and industrialist. This picture shows Parker (the gentleman in the center) at his home in Tettenhall, near Wolverhampton, circa 1895.

A good paragraph I found: "Parker developed several models of electric cars, one of which he drove rather regularly despite the Light Locomotive Act. The Act stated that three men would have be in the vehicle, two to drive and one to walk in front of the vehicle with a red flag. The car was only legally allowed to go 4 miles per hour on country roads and 2 miles per hour on town roads. He was known as Wolverhampton’s (the city where Elwell-Parker was based) first motorist. He made a habit of commuting to work in his vehicles, one of which gave him 18 months of trouble-free service.
"Being electric was not the only innovative feature of Parker’s cars. Some of them had hydraulic brakes on all four of the wheels, and four-wheel steering. These were improvements that were unheard of even once cars started to dominate the roads. Parker continued to invent and revolutionize life in England and Europe for the rest of his life, and each generation of his descendants have continued in the family tradition of inventing."

Good one!

Go back to Diecast Forums – The Lounge – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Pics .. customs .. original .. small by Jerry Vinson #41203
Okay, Jerry. You caught me with the very first picture, the electric car. So I've had fun by David Holcombe #41203.1
Thanks, David. I enjoyed reading the history of the electric car. by Bruce Gibbins #41203.1.1
I love that Caddy Convertible Sedan. (EOM) by Robert Bolin #41203.2
ditto that. Me also. (EOM) by Bruce Gibbins #41203.2.1
36 Ford Custom for me please. Strong enough to sit on the fender with out denting it. (EOM) by Bruce Parsons #41203.3
Great pic showing period "cool guys" clothing styling (EOM) by Jack Dodds #41203.3.1
Very cool, pix. Excellent choices to post. Dont those three guys riding by Bruce Gibbins #41203.4

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone