Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by Sheila Kelly (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: Bruce Gibbins
Posted On: Wednesday March 13, 2019 at 9:43 PM

A change of pace as we now head back to 1939 and another Chevrolet.
This is a car that was imported, along with several hundred of its chums for that year, as a kit from Canada destined for local assembly at the GM plant at Petone.
In support of the local auto industry, local parts were fitted. Tires, battery, full interior, wiring etc.

If you notice the dark blue light fitted to the roof mid-point above the windshield, and wonder what this is for, then I'm here to pass on what this light was used for.

Back in the day when this car was new, these lights, tear drop in shape with dark blue lens, were government mandated to be fitted on the cars roof, facing forward as a pilot light. If the vehicle being towed was a trailer (Caravan) and higher than a garden trailer, that too was required to have a pilot light fitted.
The requirement had long been discontinued by the time young guys were buying these old cars but many of them still had the pilot light in place, bit mo longer needed to be used.
I don't know why showing this blue light at night was thought to be necessary. I wanted to know, but nobody seemed to know why either, other than to say - "it was for towing a caravan, kid"

The seller, a local auction house has a standard description they use in all of their auction listings that differs only by including a mention of the featured car.

The sellers description:

This tidy old Chevrolet Master 85 looks great in Period Beige, very usable in right hand drive and with the original black plates.
You could strap the grand kids in this lovely old car and head for the hills every Sunday.

This Classic has been on display at Stewart's car museum and is now being offered for sale along with a fabulous selection of other classics as a planned downsizing of the Stewart collection. This is an opportunity that doesn't come up very often. Rego on hold.

So - pix away - its Chevy day.

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

A change of pace as we now head back to 1939 and another Chevrolet. by Bruce Gibbins #41207
I really like this period of Chevy. Color suits it IMO. (EOM) by Jack Dodds #41207.1
I just fell in love all over again ... What a great story & Xclnt pix .. Thank you (EOM) by Dennis Mong #41207.2
great story Bruce. Now, as for the blue light.... by John Roberts #41207.3
Cheers, John, thank you for that info. (EOM) by Bruce Gibbins #41207.3.1
A real gem! The blue light...I learn something new here everyday. Thanks Bruce. (EOM) by Tim Kubiak #41207.4

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone