Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: Dick Johnson
Posted On: Monday November 4, 2019 at 1:37 PM

I was so blessed to have grown up in a wonderful all family neighborhood and five miles south of the town Of Roseburg, Oregon and on our long gravel driveway called Paradise Lane
and right on the banks of the South Umpqua River. I spent all summer swimming in that river sometimes all day long, I never tired of it.
At the time the only ones who were not family but we thought of them as such were the Oakleys just across the drive from us and two boys Dick and Bill Oakley, all the family now gone but we were friends for life and always shared many interest's together, the story of their cars later.

Right behind our house was a small cabin type house that my grandparents lived in and it was right above the river edge with a beautiful view of the river and a large green field across the river, it was awesome.

My grandparents were the best and I was so blessed to be able to live that close to them.

My grandpas name was Owen Palmer and Grandmas name was Jenny.

They had a 1931 Model A Ford 2 door sedan and I loved that car.
Grandpa Palmer was a mans man and a fine Christian man full of love and gentle in everything he did. He sang in the church choir and at home he was always singing, he had a good voice and I loved to hear him sing.
I really loved him and wanted to be just like him when I grew up but I fell real short of that goal sad to say.

Just some of my memories of the Model A were riding in it when it was raining as it did a lot of.

If you have never had the thrill of hearing a Model A running then you have missed a lot as they have a sound all their own.

I always looked forward to that ride to Sunday School with them for the five mile drive to town and the First Baptist Church Sunday School. I rode with them as my folks attended the Church service but not Sunday School.
The sound of that Model A, the rain hitting the cloth top, and what a sound it was and grandpa singing was pure magic and it is a time I shall never forget.
I was so blessed and wish I could do all that again. I did get my own 31 Model A coupe in high school.

Grandpa's Model A served them well for a long time and their next car was a 1941 Oldsmobile coupe and then a 1948 Studebaker Commander coupe and that is another story I will share another time.

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

My story of a 31 Model A Ford, by Dick Johnson #44898
What great childhood memories. Nice that you experienced it that way! (EOM) by Jack Dodds #44898.1
+1 (EOM) by Frank Kocour #44898.1.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone