Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – The Lounge – Diecast Zone

Posted By: David Holcombe
Posted On: Sunday December 1, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Pics- A beauty in black. . . well, remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1920's Ford Model T, commonly called "the doctor's coupe." This one is probably in its original colors but has, over the years, been given a new coat of black enamel.

Ford Model T doctor's coupe car tulip body version made of cast iron. It is called the "Tulip" body due to the sweeping curve of the body below the belt line resembling the shape of the flower. It has very ornate window coverings. It has cast iron spoke wheels. Produced in the 1920's by the A.C. Williams Company for the dimestores of America and further away.

A brief history of A.C. Williams Co. of Ravenna, Ohio:
The A. C. Williams Company was founded in business in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, in 1844. It was founded by John Wesley Williams, the father of A. C. Williams. However there was a big fire at the company, and a decision was made to move to Ravenna. Ohio. Actual production started there in 1893.
Like the other famous cast iron companies of the time (Hubley, Dent, Kilgore, Arcade, Kenton), A.C. Williams manufactured cast iron cars and trucks, as well as many other items. From 1893 to 1923 they produced cast-iron horse-drawn rigs, autos, airplane, penny banks and tractor toys; the line included mostly miniatures distributed through Woolworth, Kresge`s, and other five-and-dime stores. They even produced some tin cars towards the end of the company’s relatively long history. Unfortunately, in 1938 they closed their toy production and continued in other ventures to this day.

A couple of pictures to show the detailed curtains that distinguished this toy Ford for all the others. Remember, this 5 inch, 14 ounces toy car was made of cast iron.

Sorry, no scale was given. Using the wheelbase figures, I worked it out as close to 1:29. Oh well, kids in the 1920's didn't play to scale, I guess. The doctor? Just an unmarked figure that's been around here for years; I kind of like his looks with the Ford.

Go back to Diecast Forums – The Lounge – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

Pics- A beauty in black. . . well, remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. by David Holcombe #45438
Very nice. (EOM) by Dick Johnson #45438.1
Thanks for some history about the car. (EOM) by Steve Jakubczak #45438.1.1
there's something in my eye... (EOM) by Joop Gisbers #45438.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone