Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: Christopher Moroni
Posted On: Tuesday December 3, 2019 at 9:02 AM

Well sort of. These '76 Eldos were collectable from day one. That is....
...many were made and many were stored (not driven much). Federal law, however, had nothing to do with it. Convertible sales came to a halt because by 1976 the public just wasn't buying convertibles. Period.

Convertibles were and are EXPENSIVE to manufacture so when profits can't be had...why bother? Right?

After a 8-9 year "drought" Ford re-issued Mustang convertibles and demand slowly rose again. Demand was steady (more or less) until the great recession of 2007-2010. That scrapped many future plans for convertibles (including a Chevy 2-dr Volt convertible) and killed many current models.

Today, if you want a domestic convertible you have but 3 choices and only two convection options:

-Vette
-Camaro
-Mustang

Conversions:
-Challenger
-ATS Coupe (2015-2019) only. There will be no 2020 ATS Coupe.

I've driven convertibles my entire life.... can you tell?

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

PIC: 1976 Cadillac ElDorado convertible with just 246 miles on it, by Dick Johnson #45458
I don't understand how someone can buy a car like that and then never drive it. Boggles my mind. (EOM) by Duncan Pohl #45458.1
Wasn't there a belief that there were no more convertibles to be made after '76 by Steve Jakubczak #45458.1.1
Bingo!!! I suspect there are others with no (low) miles. (EOM) by John Bono #45458.1.1.1
Well sort of. These '76 Eldos were collectable from day one. That is.... by Christopher Moroni #45458.1.1.2
Yup. That's the bare bones truth. If they were in demand, the car makers would have found a way. (EOM) by John Kuvakas #45458.1.1.2.1ModeratorZone Diplomat
Yep! (EOM) by Christopher Moroni #45458.1.1.2.1.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2019 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone