Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: Bruce Gibbins
Posted On: Saturday January 11, 2020 at 10:32 PM

And old girl friends hate new wives. I took to Country Music as my dislike for the
synthesized music of the Disco era. A style of music that had, I believe, its origins in TinPan Ally and Phiadelphia pop songs from the 1950's and the 1960's. Having about as much to do with true Rock and Roll and its rootes in authentic, Country, Blues and Gospel, as a Beethoven Symphony.
But people liked it and the followers of fashion adored it, so there is that.
It was just that country, then known as Country and Western, possibly because of Western Swing from bands like, Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys, and Spade Cooley, among others, allowed me to enjoy the sounds of real instruments being played without being subverted by heavy over production. The poppy Nashville Sound was largely produced with the fluttering strings of a thousand violins - or one synthesizer. So I passed on that believing that this was more suited to love crossed school girls and bored Southern house wives - neither of which was probably true.
I liked guitar instrumental music from The Ventures and the British group, The Shadows, who, due to minimal promotion by their management and Columbia, their record label, were world famous but only outside of America.

A sample of what is thought to be the only realy authentic home grown British Rock and Roll song can be easily found on YouTube. It's called, Move It, by Cliff Richard and the Drifters. Before Move It, Skiffle - like Jug Band, in the US and of course music styles that were popular in America at the same time.

My liking for The Beatles started with their early recordings of covers of Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry songs and their own self penned offerings of 1962/3 and those few songs they recorded earlier while in Hamburg Germany. These were more uptempo than their latter studio Concept creations - The White Album, but lacked any individual creativity of their latter music. I preferred the Rolling Stones anyway.

So I turned the dial to the sounds of a whole raft of singers and players going way back into the early days of recorded music right to a new wave of country and country influenced performers - that included Emmylou Harris, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and so many more to mention here.
Music as always been a journey of discovery.
British bands of the 50s & 60s took me to exploring, blues and the old Southern blues players. I enjoyed also the folk and folk/protest inspired folk rock music of this time also.
Since I could remember I was listening to urban jazz and singers like Billy Holiday and the war time dance bands, a favorite of my often homesick American mother who also listened to Guy Mitchell and Pat Boone - bless her heart,
Cajun music from people like Buckwheat Zydeco and Doug Kershaw had me fizzing too.

British Punk was an interest about the time Elvis died. British Punk was more driven by working class angst, while American Punk such as by the Ramones and Pattie Smith came more from the New York art scene.
American Garage bands - thinking here of Kurt Curbain and Nirvana that kinda morphed into the FooFighters.

My music tastes are wide varied and for that I am forever grateful to whatever it was that made this so.

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

I hated Country, when Country wasn’t cool…17 points awarded to first 5 responders by John Barry #46203
And old girl friends hate new wives. I took to Country Music as my dislike for the by Bruce Gibbins #46203.1
lotta me toos in there......(old definition) by John Barry #46203.1.1
I spent my formative years in Ohio and not the countified part. But, even being from a family of by Frank Kocour #46203.1.2
I grew up in Youngstown! (EOM) by John Kuvakas #46203.1.2.1ModeratorZone Diplomat
I attended Kent State for a year and a half. My parents had a cabin at Lake Milton with an outhouse by Frank Kocour #46203.1.2.1.1
Lake Milton! a beautiful place indeed! (EOM) by John Kuvakas #46203.1.2.1.1.1ModeratorZone Diplomat
I like your videos here. I was raised on country music mostly. by Dick Johnson #46203.2
Uh Oh................. by John Barry #46203.2.1
LOL !No I didn't take offence and appreciate you posts. by Dick Johnson #46203.2.1.1
at the risk of appearing beneath the fold.....I hope you enjoy the snow! by John Barry #46203.2.1.1.1
I loved the 'old' country. My Mom used to listen to Roy Rogers, Sons of the Pioneers and others. by Duncan Pohl #46203.3
That`s it !!! by John Barry #46203.3.1
I wasn't a Country fan until I heard Alison Krauss singing.. by John Roberts #46203.4
good post John...have you listened to "down to the river to pray"? by John Barry #46203.4.1
good grief !! ....If your name is John....and you hail from Ohio...please sign in HERE by John Barry #46203.5
I started with Hermans Hermits throught the Beatles, Rolling Stones, by Gary Rockwood #46203.6

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone