Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums – The Lounge – Diecast Zone

Posted By: Dan Vincent
Posted On: Saturday January 25, 2020 at 9:39 PM

35mm Lens Manufacturers had specialties and were known for certain lenses.
Minolta had superb wide angle lenses with amazing edge to edge sharpness. Their normal lenses had great skin tones while Nikon had a slightly pink skin tone.

Nikon and Canon had great telephoto ranges.

Most Japanese and German lenses were known for delivering great images and it was more choice of film type and settings than camera brand.

In 1976 I was asked to do an article on an RC boat but I didn’t own a camera. After brief research it seemed as though Nikon and Canon were the big names at the time so I asked the editor if he had any suggestions.

He said they were good choices but he was highly impressed with images sent in by Minolta users and they were less expensive, especially for lenses. He said he used Nikons but once he invested in several lenses he had to stay with them. He said if he was starting over he would probably go with Minolta.

My biggest appreciation for my Minoltas was the quiet shutters, control layout and comfortable feel in my hands.

Usually the sharpest images from most lenses will be in the mid range of the f-stop range. If you have a lens with a range of f2 to f16, your sharpest shots will probably be in the 5.6 to f8 range.

Place a newspaper on the wall and take pictures at various f-stops to see where the sharpness shows up. You will also see barreling and distortion if present.

Go back to Diecast Forums – The Lounge – Diecast Zone

Message thread:

I WAS learning something but I cant remember what...10-20mm Lens vs 35mm Lens by John Barry #46441
Are you using a film camera or a digital SLR with adapter to film camera lenses? by Dan Vincent #46441.1
I may have used the wrong terminology by John Barry #46441.1.1
Nikon D90 is a great camera. I use a D90 and a D5300. by Dan Vincent #46441.1.1.1
pretty cool..... by John Barry #46441.1.1.1.1
35mm Lens Manufacturers had specialties and were known for certain lenses. by Dan Vincent #46441.1.1.1.1.1
very interesting...Thanks Dan by John Barry #46441.1.1.1.1.1.1
That's quite a collection of cameras and lenses. by John Kuvakas #46441.1.1.1.2Moderator
hello John by John Barry #46441.1.1.1.2.1
Polarizers can be interesting but can have unanticipated effect on the image. by John Kuvakas #46441.1.1.1.2.1.1Moderator
gotcha by John Barry #46441.1.1.1.2.1.1.1
Correct. In manual mode with a lens adapter there is no autofocus. by Dan Vincent #46441.1.1.1.2.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone