Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: George Schire
Posted On: Wednesday September 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM

Good morning John Kuvakas, thank you for input. I think you hit the nail on the head, but
some things need to be clarified.

I placed an innocent comment, that I was amused that no one had started a daily thread featuring Dashboards, and I provided a photo of Dashboard. There was nothing negative about that comment. I made no insinuation that one of the regular posters of "daily threads" had to or should make such an additional contribution to the Lounge. It was just an honest observation and believe me, there was no intent to cause any drama. But for some reason my making a simple comment struck a nerve with John Bono and he went off on his tirade, which was totally uncalled for. A lot of people here talk about being polite and not being abrasive, but some of those same people evidently feel they don't have to adhere to the same rule.

Now before I go on, let me say that I have always been complimentary and appreciative of the daily and regular postings of guys like John Bono, John Merritt, Tony Perrone, and countless others. And I've many times told them so in my posts that I enjoy their photos and contributions. I have NEVER insulted any of them on the selection of photos, even when I've not been a fan of the cars featured. Now that said, I have at times stated that a car was "ugly", which has been mistakenly taken as a personal attack. I'll be honest, I've not understood that. My saying a car is ugly, is the opposite of someone saying the same car is beautiful. Both are each of our opinions. Neither is to be taken offensively.

I've responded that if a car can be "beautiful", then a car can also be "ugly", and it's all in the eye of the beholder. But there are those who think they are personally being insulted if everyone on the board doesn't agree that it is "beautiful". If the Lounge (or any Forum) is only for those that all agree, then that is not a welcoming environment.

John, I would be the first to admit that I can be extremely opinionated, but NEVER have I shoved my opinion down anyone's throat as being factual or that everyone should agree with me. It isn't a secret that I think the 1961 Lincoln is one of the most unattractive car styles ever, and I always will. I know I'm in the great minority on not liking that car, but this is America, John, and I should be able to say that. And because someone else who thinks it is the best looking car ever, get's offended because someone disagrees with him, I ask you John, who's being childish?

Last night after I made the comment about a daily "Dashboards" post, John Bono was quick to go on the attack, that was directed at me (though he didn't mention my name). He went off on people not contributing and wanting things, and that he and others do all the work with their posts, insinuating that he should get some badge of honor or something, because he contributes and many others don't.

I want to believe that Bono (and others) who contribute regularly, do it because they enjoy doing so and it's a "Labor of Love" and also they have the time to do so. But since it's voluntary that they contribute, they are free to quit anytime they wish to. I'd also add that if they are upset when not everyone "likes" the cars they post, then they are sharing their time for the wrong reason.

All of us read things in to the typed word, that likely would happen with the spoken word if we were talking over a cup of coffee or a beer. Too many here are quick to jump on me (and a select few others) whenever we have an opinion or comment that doesn't agree with their own thinking.

I visit the Lounge and the 1:24 Forum because I love old cars, it's as simple as that. But I don't like the styling of every single old car, and like everyone else, I like some cars more than others. Some are beautiful and some are ugly to who's ever eyes are looking at them. And with regard to the words "beautiful" and "ugly", I've stated previously that both are adjectives that are descriptive.

Finally John, if as you said are welcome here in the Lounge, that can only be true if all of us are able to share our own viewpoints and disagree respectively with one another. The latter doesn't always happen, and then we get to this point of having to feel alienated and not welcome.

I'm going to take a break from the Lounge and the 1:24 Forum. For how long, I don't know, maybe forever this time. The behavior by a few here, just isn't worth it to feel their wrath any longer.

Thank you John for what you do for the Lounge, I wish you continued success.

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

A few comments about the thread from last evening. by John Kuvakas #50208Moderator
Very well said John, thank you. I love being here, everyone is just awesome. (EOM) by Dick Johnson #50208.1
Back at you Dick....your contributions are so valued. (EOM) by Jack Dodds #50208.1.1
Good morning John Kuvakas, thank you for input. I think you hit the nail on the head, but by George Schire #50208.2
We'll miss you George, hope to see you back soon. (EOM) by John Kuvakas #50208.2.1Moderator
+1 (EOM) by Jack Dodds #50208.2.1.1
George, you and I have spoken on the phone so I KNOW that you mean well and are a "good guy"...but by Barry Levittan #50208.2.2
Imo, a simple "imo" can be a diffuser with potentially polarizing comments. by Al Dorado #50208.2.3
George, you and I disagree on a lot of car styling but to me, "we agree to disagree". That is what by Bruce Parsons #50208.2.4
But also, opinions can be ill-informed too. Our opinions can often change when we learn more. by Bruce Gibbins #50208.2.4.1
There is a great deal of child like petulance weaving its way through much of what is accusational by Bruce Gibbins #50208.2.5
Thank you, John. Your gracious comments are most welcome. (EOM) by David Holcombe #50208.3
thanks, John...I am happy in my chair in the Lounge....eventhough I by Joop Gisbers #50208.4
John K., that badge of honor that I'm looking for, must be 24 karat gold and be sure my name is..... by John Bono #50208.5
I currently have the spelling as "Kuvakas." Is that correct? (EOM) by John Kuvakas #50208.5.1Moderator
Absolutely! (EOM) by John Bono #50208.5.1.1
LOL! (EOM) by Jack Dodds #50208.5.1.2
OMG..please let it all rest. Just read the post and move on... (EOM) by Steve Jakubczak #50208.5.1.2.1

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone