Legacy Motors Presents THE LOUNGE: Hosted by John Kuvakas (Sheila K)
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Posted By: Dick Johnson
Posted On: Sunday October 11, 2020 at 7:52 PM

PREWAR CORONA CAR WAS NEARLY AS SAD AS THE VIRUS
April 12, 1922 THE LATEST NOVELTY AUTOMOBILE
According to the caption on this original press release: "This is the latest type of motor vehicle invented, and will surely prove popular to the motorist due to its economic features. The vehicle, complete, weighs but 175 pounds. The wheelbase is 72 inches, the overall length is 108 inches, overall width is 35 inches. It carries two passengers. The car body, which is semi-enclosed, is supported upon the exact longitudinal center of the floor, the special patented construction giving both passengers the full benefit of the buckboard spring action. The car is driven by a Briggs & Stratton Motor Wheel of 2-1/2 horsepower. It runs eighty miles to the gallon of gasoline, and a half pint of oil a fuel and lubricating cost of about 1/3 cent a mile. The Corona Car, which is its name, will shortly make its appearance on the streets, to sell at $225."
Vanity Fair magazine called it "a practical two-passenger buckboard for running about beaches and other resorts. Its top speed is nearly 30 miles per hour."
The Standard Catalog of American Cars by Beverly Rae Kimes and Henry Austin Clark, Jr. suggested the Corona may have been manufactured by Briggs & Stratton as a larger counterpart to its Red Bug Flyer, but no documentation had been uncovered. The Corona wheelbase was 10 inches longer than the Flyer.

Go back to Diecast Forums The Lounge Diecast Zone

Message thread:

PREWAR CORONA CAR by Dick Johnson #50628
I've never heard of this car before. (EOM) by Jack Dodds #50628.1
I've seen the Red Bug, a friend owned one, but this one is new to me. Interesting! (EOM) by David Holcombe #50628.2

New News  ·  List & Reviews  ·  Legacy Motors  ·  Auctions  ·  Forums  ·  Polls  ·  Features  ·  Register  ·  FAQs  ·  Clubs

Copyright © 2020 Legacy Diecast Models and Diecast Zone